Here are some exercises to practice two-word verbs.
Use a two-word verb that means the same as the word on the left to complete the following sentences.
1. die I don’t remember my father because he _____ when I was very young.
2. diminish in intensity If this hot weather doesn’t _____ pretty soon I’m going to buy an air conditioner.
3. fail The plan _____ because of a lack of interest in the project.
4. happen suddenly Fighting _____ between radical groups of students and the police had to be called in to restore order.
5. stop working There has been no indication of renewed talks since negotiations _____ last week.
6. decrease If sales _____ any further we’ll have to make cuts in personnel.
7. be noticeable What _____ most in my mind was the way in which he dealt with the troublemakers.
8. appear There’s no telling who may _____ at Jack’s parties.
9. disappear The anesthetic should _____ a few hours after the surgery.
10. depart You’d better check your facts before you _____ half-cocked and make a fool of yourself.
11. refuse Arthur _____ several very good job offers just because he didn’t want to move.
12. understand I could never _____ why she dropped out of school and became a waitress.
13. replace You children will not get any ice cream if you don’t _____ your toys _____!
14. date I’d love to _____ Mary _____, but I don’t think she’d say “yes” if I asked her.
15. suddenly end Susan _____ her engagement with Tom because she discovered he was secretly seeing another woman.